A strong plastic odor can be emitted from your refrigerator since their interior construction is made from some form of plastic. This plastic odor can range from very strong to mild and it smells like chemicals. There is a way to remove odor from your fridge. First, you need to know the 5 basic methods of how to eliminate odors.
The 5 basic ways to get rid of odors and how to get rid of room odors:
1) Absorb the odor with an absorbing agent
2) Mask the odor with scented candles, sprays or other odor-covering products
3) Dilute the odor by opening windows and doors
4) Let time do the work and it will eventually go away
5) Remove the source of the odor from the room or space
Now you know the methods used to remove odor from just about anything you can learn about how to get rid of refrigerator odor.
How to get rid of plastic smell from the fridge:
1) Unplug the refrigerator, remove contents and wash the whole interior using warm water and soap or baking soda. Rinse and dry and let it vent (leave the refrigerator open) for 30 minutes to an hour depending on whether you have an alternate method for storing your contents.
2) A cup or two of coffee grounds for a couple of days is a good method of removing odors from the fridge. Make sure to place them on a plate and spread them around well.
3) Put an open box of baking soda in the refrigerator replacing it every three months to get rid of plastic odor in the refrigerator.
4) Charcoal briquettes are also known to absorb odors. Just place the briquette on a paper towel to avoid a mess.
Those are the top tips on how to get rid of odor in the refrigerator. Remember that most plastic is porous so use something that won’t affect your health or make the contents smell or taste bad. You can follow these basics of how to get rid of plastic smell safely and effectively. The tips are easy to use, do not cost a lot of money and are the most efficient options for ridding your fridge and kitchen of that toxic plastic smell.