Mattresses are designed to last for between 5 to 10 years on average. It is wise to replace your mattress every 5 years so you really need to know how to get rid of an old mattress to make room for the new one. Getting rid of old mattresses is not difficult and depending on the condition of the mattress you are getting rid of you may be able make a little cash on the deal.
6 Tips on how to get rid of an old mattress:
1) Donate It – Donations are the benevolent way to get rid of old mattress pads and mattresses. As long as the product is in pretty good condition and is not contaminated or completely nasty or soiled it is a good opportunity to donate. Some places that take donations may have a way to refurbish them as well. Half-way houses, local charities and homeless shelters are where to take old mattresses for donation.
2) Give It Away – You can dispose of bed mattresses by giving them to a family member or friend in need. Maybe they have a child that has outgrown their baby or toddler bed or they just need a new mattress.
3) Reuse It – If you have a guest room that could use a new mattress that is ideal for you. You can simply reuse your own mattress instead of getting rid of mattress and box springs. This is what to do with old mattress and box spring when you want to keep it simple.
4) Sell It -Another way to dispose of old mattress and box springs is to sell them. You will want to make sure it is legal to do so in your state before getting rid of old mattresses by selling them.
5) Recycle It – If you want to know where to dispose of a mattress you can check online to find entities that take them for recycling. The most effective way to quickly find out how to get rid of an old mattress is to call your local furniture store or mattress store. They should have more information about where to dispose of old mattresses or at least know who you can call.
6) Garbage Pick Up – Some entities will pick them up for you. Communities in larger cities offer a way for how to get rid of an old mattress by having certain times of the year where they take away large items for you. If you do not live in a large community it cannot hurt to ask your garbage collection service if they know who can pick up your mattress.